from Master Chef Carlos Gomez-Starnes POV Restaurant at Pier450, Ridge, Md.
Since its opening in 2020, POV Restaurant at Pier450 has become the destination dining spot for St. Mary’s County, Md. Chef Carlos’ crab balls are one of the reasons why. His elevated take on a Southern Maryland staple makes the perfect savory bite for any season, so they stay on the menu year-round.
When you’re looking to change it up, keep an eye out for their “Chef’s Tastings” dinner series as well. Chef Carlos takes diners on a culinary journey with themed dinners reflecting different cuisines around the world. Held biweekly on Sunday nights, these special menus range from three to five courses.
1 ¼ cup cornmeal
1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp sugar
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp black pepper
¼ tsp salt
1 cup of buttermilk
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 Tbsp grated onion
3 Tbsp finely diced jalapeños (no seeds)
1. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
2. Add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
3. Heat oil in a pan to 365 degrees.
4. Use medium-sized ice-cream scoop to spoon each hush puppy carefully into the oil.
5. Fry until the hush puppies are fully cooked inside.
1 lb. jumbo lump crab
1 Tbsp Old Bay
½ cup panko
½ cup mayo
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1. Fold and mix ingredients together without pressing.
2. Let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Mix 1 cup panko with 1 Tbsp Old Bay.
4. Form crab balls into desired sizes and roll into panko mix.
5. Fry at 365 degrees.
1 cup mayo
1 tsp. cajun spice
1 tsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. pre-prepped horseradish
¼ tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. lemon juice
¼ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
Whisk together all ingredients and serve on the side.