Maryland Seafood Festival: The Top 10 Coolest Parts
It's finally here! The 50th annual Maryland Seafood Festival is this Saturday and Sunday. Bay Bulletin has been telling you about some of the best traditions and new attractions at the Sandy Point weekend-long festival.
Here's a look at the top ten coolest things the Maryland Seafood Festival wants to make sure you check out this weekend.
When you get to the festival, be sure to visit Bay Bulletin at the Chesapeake Bay Magazine cabana, and meet our Bay-loving staff. We'd love to connect with you.
1. Seafood! It's the reason we all come together...to celebrate Maryland Seafood! Check out the scrumptious menu for 2017.
2. Different bands will be playing music through the decades. ALL. DAY. LONG.
3. Chef Demos and free samples! Visit the chef demo tent where local restaurant chefs present their favorite seafood cuisine. Maybe even eat like a governor, as Governor Hogan's personal chef participates in one of those demos. Watch and learn as they create a delicious seafood item, and then sample their dish. Learn about the invasive Blue Catfish that is taking over our bay and sample four different Blue Catfish creations. They can't take over if we eat them all!
4. SPRINT is hosting a Treasure Hunt throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday. Each stop on the treasure hunt hosts sponsors and vendors that will be stamping your map and handing out prizes as you go. The first 500 participants each day will gets prizes at every stop. Offered both Saturday and Sunday; Head straight to the SPRINT booth to register for your piece of the treasure!
5. Green Valley Marketplace Crab Soup Cook-Off on Saturday, 9/9 from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. It's your chance to sample more than 15 different crab soups from some of the best area restaurants and chefs! Make your opinion count—vote for your favorite! Pre-purchase your tickets for crab soup cook-off today on our website, or you can purchase them at the event!
6. Yogibo Musical Chairs . . . The Yogibo bean bag chair company will be running multiple games of musical chairs each day and will be giving away free chairs at every game. Don't forget to stop by and register yourself for a game of musical chairs . . . you may just walk away with a Yogibo Midi Chair worth over $200!
7a. Celebrities: Jimmy Riffle from Animal Planet's Gator Boys TV show will be at the festival with an exotic reptile walk-through zoo! Get up close and personal with some dangerous reptiles and then stop by for an autograph and picture!
7b. Celebrities: Pull up a chair and enjoy a sand soccer scrimmage. The Baltimore Kings professional soccer team will be at the festival playing 5v5 sand soccer scrimmages at noon and 2 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday. They will be signing autographs and giving away game tickets and prizes. Stop by to watch them play and get an autograph or two!
8. Contests. Do your friends call you Captain Oyster Shucker? Queen of the crab cake? Do your friends and family give you their crabs because your picking skills are second to none? Well, then be sure to sign up for one or all of our contests during the festival. Oyster shucking, crab cake eating or crab picking—pick your specialty and win a prize!
9. Football. Come watch the football games with us while you sample craft beers and local oysters! We'll have a big screen catching all the action so you don't miss a thing!
10. FIREWORKS! In honor of our 50th anniversary, we'll be setting off beachside fireworks on Saturday night!